Wednesday, March 24, 2010

2 months

Lila is two months old today!

It was a rough day for our little girl. Normally she is an easy-going, happy baby, but today she was anything but. We met up with friends for lunch and the moment we arrived at the restaurant, Lila became very displeased. She eventually fell asleep in my arms but the moment we got back into the car, she screamed. Crying in the car is very unusual for her. She usually either sleeps or coos the entire ride.

The rest of the day she was either asleep or angry. She is not one to just scream, and we started to worry that she might be sick or hurt. I decided to start her bedtime routine early tonight, and she calmed down considerably after about an hour. I got her to sleep and set her in her crib at 8:30, figuring she'd do what she always does and wake up five or ten minutes later, repeating the pattern several times before settling down for the night. It has been almost an hour and she's still asleep! She must have just been really tired today. Poor baby girl. I hope that she wakes tomorrow in better spirits.

We had the best intentions for taking really fun two month pictures today, but Lila wasn't having any of it. Instead we did the best we could and snapped a quick picture in her crib before swaddling her up for the night.

Happy two months, Baby Girl!

She let us snap the one picture and then...

It makes me so sad when she cries. I just wish that I knew what to do to make her feel better. Usually we can figure something out pretty quickly, so it's extra sad when nothing seems to soothe her.

Despite today's tears, Lila has been sleeping much better the past few days. I moved her bedtime routine up a few hours in the hopes that she'd learn to sleep better in her crib, and for the past three nights he has had at least one 5-7 hour stretch of sleep, followed by another 3-4 hours. It's amazing! She still eats furiously in the late evening hours, which is probably her effort to fill her tummy for a long stretch of sleep. I've heard that eight weeks is when babies really start sleeping for longer stretches, so I hope that this is the beginning of more sleep for all of us.

I definitely feel like we're coming out of the fog a bit as far as the whole new parent/sleep deprivation thing goes. I know that I'm getting more sleep now because when she's asleep, I miss her. I think about her sweet little smile and her happy coos and I look forward to when she's awake so that I can enjoy her again.

She is smiling more and more these days, and she even giggled last week. She is growing so fast!

For as much as she smiles, I've had a really hard time capturing her smiles in pictures. It's mostly our camera - and my lack of real photography skills. Our camera takes so long to flash that by the time the photo actually snaps, the smile is over. I did catch a pretty good smile on Sunday...

She loves laying on her back and talking to us. She's not really a fan of tummy time yet, but put her on her back and talk to her and she'll smile and talk back to you all day long.

The last two months have definitely been the most amazing, exhausting, fulfilling, confusing, phenomenal months of my life. I look at Lila's little face and can't imagine not having her in my life. It sounds so cliche, but I never, ever knew that I could love someone so completely as I love her.

I can't wait to see what the next months have in store for us!

1 comment:

  1. We have a lot of pictures from 5-8 weeks of unsuccessfully trying to capture a smile :) As with most baby-related things, it gets easier with time!

    ReplyDelete