Lila is 14 weeks old!
Our girl is still feeling a bit under the weather. She seems to feel mostly okay during the day but nights have been really rough. We elevated the head of her crib and put a humidifier in her room and that seems to help, but she still wakes up quite unhappy more than a few times each night. I really, really hope that she miraculously feels 100% better tomorrow morning or it's going to be sad leaving her at daycare. They said that she can come to daycare as long as she just has a common cold and no fever. I know this, and I am running low on time off after maternity leave, but it still makes me sad to take a baby who doesn't feel good to daycare. If she's not 100% tomorrow I think I'll make it a short day. Thankfully when Lila's cold first set in she was able to stay at home with her grandma, and then we had 2 weekend days to help her recover. If nothing else this cold sure had good timing, if there is such a good thing as good timing for a cold.
And so we have all survived Lila's first (short) week of daycare. I can't say that I'm thrilled to be back at work, but it hasn't been quite as bad as I thought it would be. I know that Lila is being well cared for at daycare, and from what I hear from other parents she will be learning quite a lot as well. I love that they read and sing to her, and I love that she's already starting to learn Spanish and some sign language. When she gets older she'll have little daycare friends, too, I hope. I just have to keep those things in mind when I'm at work and I'm sad that I'm not with her.
Tonight while we were getting Lila ready for bed, I put a rattle in her open hand just to see what she'd do. She didn't really seem to know it was there at first, but once she brought her hand to her mouth and got a mouth full of rattle, she looked a bit surprised. She gummed it up just as she would her little hand. It was pretty cute. Not too long before she's picking up and gripping things all on her own.
Tonight Lila also discovered herself in the mirror. I was washing her hands in the bathroom sink and when I looked up I saw her watching herself in the mirror. I lifted her up and showed her her reflection and she smiled. It was so sweet! We'll have to start setting a mirror on the floor so that she can explore. She has a mirror on the mobile in her crib but she won't be able to look in that mirror until she can sit up.
While Lila is not really anywhere near being able to sit up, she is definitely trying. When we set her down and she doesn't want to be put down, she strains forward and tries so hard to sit herself upright. She's also very close to being able to roll herself from front to back. She flings her legs to the side and then she rolls to her side. It's won't be long before our baby will be roly poly-ing all over the place!
Well, I should head to bed and get some sleep while I can. Both Ed and I have sore throats and are hoping that we're not catching Lila's cold. Then again, it might just be the sheer exhaustion of the last few days hitting us.
Next weekend Lila and I head to New York to visit her grandparents for a few days. Here's hoping that everyone is healthy and well by then!
No comments:
Post a Comment