I've been reading that Baby Z's hearing is nearly fully developed by now. It's funny, because I've been very aware of her developing sense of sound for some time now. Friendly sources tell me that the music and sounds she's exposed to now are the same ones that might comfort her once she's born. I have kept this morsel in mind when choosing music over the past months - silly as that may sound. I mean, what will I really want to be listening to when our new baby is inconsolable? What will I want to hear when my patience has worn down to its last thread? I distinctly remember babysitting triplets in college, and the babies always - without fail - perked up to the Bold and the Beautiful's theme song. No matter how fussy they were while I was preparing lunch, they would stop crying the moment the soap opera started. I asked their mother about this one day and she informed me that she never missed an episode while she was pregnant with the boys.
Classical public radio has always been a favorite of mine. It always relaxes me and puts me in a better mood, so I thought that maybe Baby Z might enjoy the same benefits. Now that she's bigger and I feel her moving around more often, I've noticed that the moment I turn on the radio in the car, she starts wiggling about. It's almost like she's dancing. Would you believe that I've caught myself turning up the music for her? I've begun to really enjoy those quiet moments alone - just the two of us and the music.
We are slowly getting everything ready for our little girl's arrival in a few months. I have this panicked feeling that she's going to come and we're not going to be ready. I know we'll never really be ready for her...but what if her crib isn't set up? What if her sheets and tiny clothes haven't been washed? What if her bottles and pacifiers haven't been sanitized? I know that some things can be done after her birth, but will I really want to be doing all of that when I could be snuggling our new daughter instead? For the first time in a long, long time, I'm confronted with a giant "to do" list and instead of feeling motivated and getting moving, I've done nothing. Ah, well... I should be well occupied over the next few months, right? I'm sure that a Certain Someone won't mind having me out of his hair (and being productive at the same time!) while he's studying for midterms and finals.
Our next checkup is in just over a week, and then we'll have appointments every two weeks until 36 weeks. Time sure is flying by these days!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One thing I remember about after you were born is that when I was getting bottle ready, Grandma Clark said that sterilizing wasn't really that big a deal anymore because we have such good dish soap and hot water. I never sterilized a bottle, and you were sick for the first time (with a minor cold) at about 10 months. So, sometimes we worry too much about keeping the little ones clean when they will be exposed to our pets, our kisses, our clothes that have been out and about all day, etc. Besides, that is what "nesting" is for.
ReplyDelete